Saturday, January 10, 2015

Dr. Bucci Neurosurgeon visit January 7 2015

Due to MRI results, my Neurologist sent me to see Dr. Bucci who is a Neurosurgeon. Dr. Michael Bucci is a graduate of Wayne State University School of Medicine. His internship and residency were completed at the University of Michigan. He is Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina.  Dr. Bucci has been practicing for over 35 years and I would guess he is in his early 60's. He started the Piedmont Spine and Neurosurgical Group in Greenville South Carolina and his office is in St. Francis Downtown Greenville. Dr. Christie Mina is his primary partner and she is highly recommended too.

My MRI revealed a large disc extrusion at L-2 and L-3. Dr. Bucci wants to try injections and PT for 4 weeks, and then meet with him again after the 4 weeks to discuss surgery if not better. It is hopeful that the injections will reduce the cartilage bulge that is pressing against the root nerve causing my pain. I was able to sleep most of the last 2 nights which thank the Lord it has made my days somewhat better. The sporadic pains of aching, throbbing, and electrical shocks keep happening but not as intensive as they were in the month of December which were almost unbearable. I am not going to the gym and exercising which may have previously exacerbated the pain making it worse, but not sure this would have caused it.

Dr. Bucci does not think that playing basketball through high school, college, and until I was 40 years old had anything to do with it. He said if I was overweight, smoked, etc. then he said that would have something to do with it. He said you are healthy, you exercise, it seems you eat healthy and do all the right things, and these things just happen. He said I see it everyday.

I do believe that it is God's plan for my life, and I will seek his purpose and use it for his glory. This disc problem may be a vehicle by which I can have a similar problem as someone else, and use that as a talking point to discuss my Lord's grace. I am amazed at his grace and how he has blessed our lives even though our family has been through some deep valleys. God continues to hold our hands and walks with us all the way. My wife Dianne is my rock and I am so blessed to have her as my partner in life. Blessed be his name.

Bruce

No comments: